Anyone else ready for cookie season? This take on the classic thumbprint cookie includes a savory, cheesy twist making it perfect for anyone who needs a not-too-sweet treat. And of course, when we think of jam, we think of Kansas City Canning Co! We experimented with their Rosemary Fig Jam and Red Wine Cranberry Sauce but feel free to use any jam you enjoy pairing with Dirt Lover.
Ingredients (makes roughly 2 dozen cookies):
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus some for rolling
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- jar of your favorite jam (We loved the KC Canning Co. Rosemary Fig Jam)
- one wheel Dirt Lover, thinly sliced into 1/2 inch pads
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar and softened butter for 5 minutes until fluffy. Then beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet in batches. Mix until just incorporated before adding more.
Once all of the dry ingredients have been mixed in, roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Press your thumb into the middle of the ball, creating a 1/2 inch deep indentation. Fill each indentation with jam being sure not to overfill.
Bake for 8 minutes. Pull the pan out and add a pad of Dirt Lover and another small schmear of jam on top. Bake for another 7 minutes until the edges are golden. Let cool and enjoy!