JOB OPENINGS at Green Dirt Farm
We’re hiring for the 2023 Season, and coming soon, our new location in the Crossroads. We have a variety of positions available. Scroll down to view the job descriptions.
Full Time GDF Farm Hand/Assistant
Green Dirt Farm, LLC is a small dairy and creamery located in the bluffs of Weston, Missouri. We specialize in the production of artisanal cheeses, primarily sheep’s milk cheeses. We sell our products to a variety of retail outlets, in our store located in Weston, and on our website. We are looking for an energetic, people-oriented, animal-loving, hardworking individual who enjoys the diverse responsibilities of being a farm hand. This position will assist our Farm Manager with a diverse array of animal care responsibilities, including monitoring and tracking animal health and production information, daily chores and milking, assisting with lambing, helping perform fecal egg counts, and a variety of other tasks.
- Respect for animals, and an aptitude for working with various species
- previous sheep experience preferred
- Positive attitude and calm demeanor especially in the face of adversity or failure.
- Candidate must work well independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Spanish is preferred
- Be an avid learner who enjoys thinking outside of the box, and takes on new challenges with a positive attitude.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- A team-oriented mindset; ability to communicate, ask questions, voice concerns, and work to problem-solve
- Ability to be meticulous and detail-oriented
- Ability to work 8+ hours on your feet
- Schedule flexibility and willingness to work long hours, especially during the busy season
- Ability to lift 50 lbs repeatedly
- Daily care of our sheep, dogs, and other animals
- Pasture rotation: primarily setting temporary fencing for animals
- Animal care including assisting with lambing, treating sick animals, performing lab tests such as fecal egg counts
- Lamb care
- General farm clean-up and assisting Farm Manager with ongoing projects
- Weekly milking duties and dairy parlor cleaning
- Record keeping
- Hourly compensation of $18.00 per hour for 35-40 hours per week.
- Healthcare benefits, PTO and Creamery discounts as outlined in our employee handbook.
Application process: Send resume, references and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Seeking an Orders and Fulfillment Manager
Love logistics? Get excited when inventory reconciles just right? Enjoy problem-solving? Have an amicable relationship with numbers and a penchant for detailed record keeping? Read on!
A part of Green Dirt Farm’s Dairy Operations Division, the Orders and Fulfillment Manager will be responsible for following our inventory of cheese from the time it enters the aging room until it reaches our customers’ hands, and will help to forecast future sales and needed inventory to support and inform the production team. They will serve as part of our Quality Assurance team, actively helping to allocate cheese batches to customers based on quality and other characteristics, making sure that finished products maintain their quality during storage, and helping to create ways to utilize inventory when it does not meet our standards.
In addition, this position will serve as the direct manager for the Orders and Fulfillment team, which currently consists of a Packaging Lead and assistants (varies according to season). This includes help in hiring, scheduling, training, and supervising the team responsible for wrapping cheese, packaging, and shipping orders. The Orders and Fulfillment Manager reports directly to the Director of Dairy Operations. They work closely with the Food Safety Supervisor to ensure all packaging and shipping activities comply with our food safety standards and protocols, and with our bookkeeper to ensure that both the inventory and all records necessary for traceability and proper invoicing and accounting are complete, accurate, and up-to-date. The Orders and Fulfillment Manager also works closely with our Marketing and Sales Director to communicate information about inventory and to ensure that orders are processed accurately.
Requirements and Qualifications
- A commitment to quality and a desire to offer the best customer experience possible.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills.
- A team-oriented mindset; the ability to communicate, ask questions, voice concerns, and work to problem-solve.
- Flexibility, and ability to roll with the punches.
- Must be able to work on your feet for long periods
- Must be able to enthusiastically follow our strict food safety protocols (and help to continually improve them!)
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs
- Must be able to work in both hot and cold environments (packaging cheese in our production facility which can be between 75/80 degrees F and counting inventory/organizing storage in coolers and freezers)
We hope to have this position hired and in place before April 2023, and we look forward to adding to our fun-loving and dynamic little team here in the hills north of Kansas City!
The salary range for this position is between $40-$45,000, with the company providing a basic healthcare plan and PTO increasing by number of years of employment at GDF (2 weeks for year one, 3 weeks for year two, up to 4 weeks for year five).
Job Type: Full-time